Daal/Lentil soup is something that is prepared almost every day in an Indian household. It’s very light, made with bare minimum spices and with no veggies. Lentil soup can be made fancy too, with more spices and vegetables on special occasions.
Mixed veg moong daal is one such dish… Just tweaking few things can make the simple lentil soup star of the menu! We specially have this in the winter as the veggies used in this dish are mostly in season then.
Let’s check out the recipe now.
Things you need
- 250g Moong lentil
- 1 finely chopped capsicum/bell pepper
- 1 finely chopped carrot
- 50g green peas
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cauliflower
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi/Fenugreek leaves
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 dried red chilies
- 1 tbsp Ginger cumin paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Dry Roast the moong lentils till golden brown. Then wash them thoroughly with water.
- Finely chop all the veggies and stir fry them half way through. Rest will get cooked along with the dal/lentil.
- Roast the kasuri methi leaves.
- Boil the dal in water with salt.
- In a different pan heat oil and temper with cumin seeds and fried chilies.
- In the same pan cook the spices for 2-3 mins (turmeric powder, ginger cumin paste, chili powder, kasuri methi powder, sugar)
- Once the spice starts getting seperated from toss the fried veggies into the same pan.
- Pour the dal into pan and mix with spice and veggies
- Cook it for 5 more minutes on low flame.
Mixed veg moong dal is ready, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it with plain rice/roti. The moong daal has a very creamy texture, it tastes amazing with some crispy potato fries (what we call jhuri bhaja alu in Bengali). Being loaded with vegetables, this is super healthy and perfect addition to your vegetarian/vegan meal plan. Do give this a try, I’m sure that you’ll love it.
Check out my other posts-
Make sure like, comment, share and subscribe to my channel for more homely recipes like this one. 🙂