One of the many things that make winter so special to me is that it gives us a wide variety of seasonal vegetables. Even though you might get the same veggies throughout the year, nothing can beat the taste of the organic produce in it’s natural season. In this case, we are gonna make use of the seasonal radish to make this dish.
This recipe will be an addition to the the Saag Saga : not just spinach, there are tons of other leafy vegetables that are used to make surprisingly easy ans healthy recipes. Laal saag (laal means Red and saag is nothing but leafy vegetable) does have a natural red color justifying its name.
There’s something about the combination of laal saag with seasonal radish – that makes it taste so much better. Unlike many other curries, don’t go overboard with the turmeric powder here as we would like to preserve the vibrant red color of the saag! You’ll see that the spices used are very minimal as well.
Now let’s check out the recipe…
Things you need
- 4 cups of Finely chopped laal saag/ red Amaranth leaves
- 2-3 slit green chilies
- 100g small prawns (skip for vegan/vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup chopped radish (Mulo)
- 1 tbsp giner paste
- 1/2 tbsp cumin paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Nigella seeds
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Marinate the small prawns with salt and turmeric powder. (This step is to be skipped for vegan/vegetarian)
- Wash the laal saag/red Amaranth leaves thoroughly and chop them finely. Chop the radish into thin blocks.
- In a pan heat some cooking oil and temper with Nigella seeds
- Fry the prawns in the same pan for 3-4 mins. (Skip for vegan/vegetarian)
- Fry the chopped radish for 2-3 mins.
- Add the chopped amaranth leaves/laal saag in. Also add the green chili, ginger and cumin paste and pinch of salt. Leafy vegetables reduce a huge deal after cooking (just like spinach)… That’s the reason you have to be very careful about the salt.
- If the laal saag releases too much water add some rice flour/normal flour to reduce the moisture ans cook without lid. If the saag is too dry, carefully add some water to help the sag and radish get cooked nicely.
Laal saag is ready to be served. Have it with plain rice/roti.
Also check out my other posts-
Don’t forget to like, comment, subscribe to my channel and share this recipe with your loved ones!