Egg fried rice is one of the most common dishes of Chinese take-away. Egg fried rice is often made with left over rice in an Asian household. At my home, my mom always makes it with freshly cooked rice and its fancy enough to serve to guests as well along with a curry.
My mom’s approach has made it more inclined towards the Indian flavor profile- even though it’s definitely not spicy.
Things you need
- Basmati Rice (1 kg.)
- Vegetables of choice (Choosing different colors of vegetables would give it a vibrant and appetizing look)
- Green peas 100 g
- Bell peppers 2 pcs
- Baby corn 4-5 pcs
- Carrot – 2 pcs
- Beans – 100 g
- Spring onion (for garnish)
- Egg – 2 pcs
- Small prawns 250 g
- Onions medium size 4-5
- Ginger-garlic paste
- Garlic 1/2
- Ginger 50 g
- Green chilies 5-6 pcs (depending on spice tolerance)
- turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- black pepper – 1 tsp
- garam masala powder – 2 tbsp
- chili powder – 1 tsp
- Whole spices (4-5 cardamom pods, 4-5 cloves, 4-5 small sticks of cardamom, bay-leaves)
- Vegetable oil – 200 ml
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 4 tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp (The end product will not be sweet, don’t worry!)
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak into water (30 minutes for Basmati Rice/ 15mins for Gobindobhog Rice). Drain the water after that.
- Cook the rice (not all the way through as it will be cooked for some time again with the veggies). The rice should not be sticky.
- Wash the prawns and marinate with turmeric, chili powder and salt. Fry them.
- Make egg omelette with chopped onions and green chilies.
- Fry the rest of the chopped onions until golden brown.
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces.
- In a big vessel heat some oil and temper with whole spices- cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves for 30 seconds or so.
- Sauté the vegetables in the same oil. (Baby corn, green peas should added 2-3 before the other veggies, bell peppers should be added at last as every vegetable has different cooking time and bell pepper will loose vibrant color if cooked long.)
- Once the vegetables are fried, add the rice into the same vessel.
- Add the spices, ghee and sugar as well along with Prawns and egg. Gently mix the rice with a spatula and cover the vessel with a lid and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes. This can be kept off the flame. This step will enhance the flavor.
- You can take out the whole spices at this point, they have infused enough flavor into dish, keeping them in can ruin the taste.
- Serve it hot with fried onions and spring onions garnish.