Pizza is one of those things loved by everyone and mostly ordered from outside. Growing up in an Indian family, we never had an oven to bake pizzas and bread, yet our love for extra-cheesy loaded pizza is unparalleled.
We came up with this recipe which is a fusion of Indian Naan bread and Italian Pizza that can be easily made without oven, microwave and pizza-maker using the common kitchen appliances readily available in any functioning kitchen.
Things you need:
- Water 1/2 cup
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Active dry yeast 1 tsp
- All purpose flour – 2 cups for 8 pcs
- Milk powder 3 tbsp
- Hung curd / yogurt – 3 tbsp in room temperature
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
- Pizza-pasta sauce / plain tomato ketchup (We used this sauce.)
- Medium size onions – 2
- Tomatoes – 2 pcs
- Capsicums/Bell peppers – 2 pcs
- Baby corn – 4/5
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Ghee/butter 3 tbsp
- Oregano and chili flakes (We used this one)
Note: This recipe was made fully vegetarian, you could also add chicken in toppings.
I have provided link to the sauce and spice that were used for this recipe, since it might be helpful for anyone who following this recipe. Both of the products were decent for the price and quality. I am not sponsored by any of the mentioned products.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp active dry yeast to half a cup of lukewarm water and keep it aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast. It will start foaming if the yeast is alive.
- In a big bowl take 2 cups of all purpose flour, 2 tbsp of milk powder, 3 tbsp of yogurt, 3 tbsp vegetable oil and a pinch of salt. Add the yeast into the bowl and kneed well to make a smooth and soft dough. Cover the dough will some oil and let it rest for minimum 2-3 hours.
- Chop the onions finely, chop vegetables of your choice for pizza topping.
- The dough will puff up while resting. Give it a good kneed to get rid of the air bubbles.
- Roll the dough into 8 (eight) small thick disks / Naans
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the finely chopped onions until they turn golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes, baby corn, capsicum/bell peppers and toast them lightly. (Baby corn and the bell peppers can be half cooked in boiling water for 2-3 minutes before, this will get them rid of the raw taste)
It is important to sauté the vegetables at this steps as this would not get cooked as a traditional pizza made in oven.
- Bake the naans on a tawa/frying pan, brush a little bit butter/vegetable oil/ghee on either side of the naan (optional).
You can bake only one side of the naan first and put the toppings on that side. After assembling the naan-pizza, the other side can be toasted. This will reduce the chance of burning the naan at the last step.
- Assembling the naan-pizza: Apply 1-2 tbsp of pizza-pasta sauce on the naan, put the fried vegetables on top, sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Keep the naan-pizza on pan for 1 min on low-heat, cover it with a lid for melting the cheese. Be careful at this stage, the bottom the pizza can get burnt other wise!
- Sprinkle dry oregano and chili flakes on top and serve hot!