Coconut chutney is like a dipping sauce made from freshly grated coconut and few mode ingredients. You will find coconut chutney beside Dosa, Uttapam, idly etc along with sambar or a tomato chutney. Making coconut chutney is actually really easy as we found out.
I personally have a special inclination towards coconut chutney for its freshness, mildly sweet and a hint of tang from the tamarind. In this recipe we have used both grated coconut and some peanuts as well. So this is a coconut-peanut chutney. The taste of the chutney was at its best however the consistency was on the thicker side (see in the pic), in restaurants and food joints the chutney is much more runny and they use a ladle to serve it.
Things you need:
- Freshly grated coconut (1.5 cups)
- Unsalted Roasted peanuts (2 tbsp)
- Split Chana (2 tbsp)
- Green Chilies (2)
- Tamarind pulp or yogurt (5 tbsp)
- Onion (1 medium size)
- Curry leaves (15-20)
- Mustard Seeds (1 tbsp)
- Dry Chili (4 pcs)
- Vegetable oil/cooking oil (4 tbsp)
- Urad dal* (Split and skinned black gram lentil) (1 tbsp)
- Dry roast the peanuts without salt. It can be lightly fried in little bit of oil as well.
- Sock the chana for 2 hours in hot water. Drain the water after that. Heat some oil in a pan and fry it lightly.
- Grate a coconut freshly.
- In a mixer grinder add the ingredients- coconut, roasted peanuts, chana dal, chilies, tamarind pulp, onion and grind them.
A dash of water of water can be added occassionally if the mixer gets too thick. The chutney shouldn’t be too thick or too runny.
- Heat oil in a pan for tempering with dried chilies, curry leaves, mustard seeds and urad dal. The whole spices are briefly roasted in the oil to release its flavors into it.
- Take out the chutney from the mixer in a bowl and add the oil on top of the chutney.
*Urad dal is called Biuli’r dal in Bengali, for any Bengali stumbling upon this post. I too did not know this until we thought of trying to make this at home in Kolkata.
If you like this recipe please do give it a try. 🙂
Check out some other recipes by clicking here.
My Insta account, where I post all food pics.