Today I was in a mood to eat something savory and these spicy pancakes came to my rescue. These look almost like the the traditional pancakes but taste completely different.
This is a vegetarian friendly recipe. These spicy pancakes can be made easily with the things available in your pantry. And most importantly, it does not call for great cooking skills!
Things you need:
- Semolina / Suji / Rawa
- Baking Soda
- Spices : Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Garam Masala, Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Salt
You can use seasonings of your choice, also you can add coriander leaves, onions etc to the potato.
Mix 1 cup of Semolina with half cup of yogurt and half cup of water. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking soda.
The amount of water actually depends on the consistency of the yogurt. Your batter should not be too runny or too thick, also the semolina would soak some of the moisture making the batter even thicker. We used total 1 cup of water to make it today.
Keep this aside for minimum 30 minutes.
We prepared the batter after lunch and took an afternoon nap. The batter was fine for use after 2 hours.
- Roughly chop some potatoes for the filling.
- Heat oil in a pan and add some cumin/mustard seeds to it.
- Fry the potatoes, add seasonings of your choice (we used the classic Indian spices)
- When the potatoes turn soft, mash them and make small thin disks with them.
- In a non-stick pan, brush some oil. Pour batter in the shape of a pancake. when it will be half-cooked, place the potato disk on top of it.
Pour batter on top of the potato to cover it.
Carefully flip it. The potato disk should be thin and smaller than the pancake-otherwise it will fall apart.
Delicious spicy pancakes are ready to be served. Have it with ketchup/ pickle or as it is. The pancakes are super soft and will burst flavors when you bite into the potatoes!
If you like it, check-out some other recipes here.
littlemermaidwrites(May 18, 2020 - 12:50 pm)
Molten Cookie Dough(May 18, 2020 - 3:18 pm)